A Georgian House in Westminster
A stone’s throw from the Houses of Parliament, on one of the finest early Georgian streets in London, is this beautiful pair of houses that in 1906 had been combined to form a single dwelling. After 40 years with the same family, the house was bought by new owners and we had a wonderful project working with them to repair and restore the interiors and the complete a programme of decoration.
We remodelled the whole house, moving the kitchen and bathrooms, restoring the staircase, putting back panelling, replacing walls that had been taken down – all steered brilliantly through Listed Building Consent (the house is Grade II* listed) by our senior design director Rupert Cunningham, who designed and oversaw the architectural project.
The interiors are intentionally simple, drawing on the original early 18th century character of the rooms, but with a playful sense of pattern, and a palimpsest of history, running through its veins. We used extensive fabrics and papers from Watts of Westminster, Morris & Co and Robert Kime in developing a palette of soft, calm greys, taupes and greens, with splashes of burned red, yellow and Prussian blue throughout.
The garden was completely remodelled by Pip Morrison and we designed a metal glasshouse at the corner of the garden which catches the rays of the evening sun.